Tuesday marks the conclusion of the 2009 HCSPSL regular season. Things for the most part are pretty clear when it comes to the playoffs, although there are a few scenarios which could change with tomorrow night’s games.
In the east, the scenario is simple: whoever wins tomorrow night’s game at Wayside between First Baptist and Landisville Mennonite is the division champion. If Landisville Mennonite wins, Lancaster Church of the Brethren drops their game to Salem and Manor Church (BIC) upsets Hempfield United Methodist, LM would be the number one overall seed in the upper bracket.
Meanwhile in the west, Lancaster Church of the Brethren needs to beat Salem U.C.C. to win the division via tie-breakers, which would be their two victories over Hempfield United Methodist. To have a chance of winning the division, HUM must take care of business against Manor Church (BIC) and hope Salem can beat LCOB, which would give them the division title by a game; that combined with a Landisville Mennonite win would make HUM the top overall seed. A Salem win would not only help with all of that, bit it would also push them into second place and slide LCOB to third, as Salem has beaten the Brethren Blue twice during the regular season.
Here are the games scheduled for tomorrow night, the final night of the 2009 regular season:
TUESDAY, JULY 14TH
Church of the Apostles
- 6:00pm: Church of the Apostles vs. Christ the King
- 7:00pm: Salem U.C.C. vs. Lancaster Church of the Brethren
- 6:00pm: Highland Presbyterian vs. Grace Baptist
- 7:00pm: Zion Lutheran of East Petersburg vs. St. Peter’s
Manor Church (BIC)
- 6:00pm: Zion Lutheran of Landisville vs. Central Manor
- 7:00pm: Manor Church (BIC) vs. Hempfield United Methodist
- 6:00pm: Grace United Methodist vs. Wayside Presbyterian
- 7:00pm: First Baptist vs. Landisville Mennonite
Game of the Week: First Baptist vs. Landisville Mennonite
First Baptist’s loss to Church of the Apostles last week sets up a one-game playoff for the division title. In the opening game of the season, FB downed LM by the score of 14-7 at Highland. For this game, the short porch of right field comes into play at Wayside, which has been the highest scoring field in the league this season.
Weather: Partly sunny with a slight chance of an afternoon shower, high in the low to mid-80’s.
Make-ups: There are no remaining make-up games to be played; every team has completed 21 games as of last Thursday evening.
Current Playoff Seedings: Here is how the playoffs set up with just one game to play; teams italicized are locked in to those positions no matter what happens Tuesday night:
- 1. Lancaster C.O.B. (17-4, 1st West; LW 1), beat HUM twice; first Baptist once
- 2. First Baptist (17-4, 1st East; LW 2), beat Landisville Mennonite, lost to LCOB
- 3. Hempfield U.M. (17-4, 2nd West; LW 3), lost to LCOB twice, beat Landisville Mennonite
- 4. Landisville Mennonite (17-4, 2nd East; LW 4), lost to First Baptist and Hempfield U.M.
- 5. Salem U.C.C. (16-5, 3rd West; LW 5)
- 6. Central Manor (14-7, 4th West; LW 6), beat Apostles
- 7. Church of the Apostles (14-7, 3rd East; LW 8), lost to Central Manor
- 8. Manor Church (13-8, 5th West; LW 7)
- 1. Grace Baptist (9-12, 4th East; LW 1)
- 2. Zion – Landisville (7-14, 6th West; LW 3)
- 3. Grace U.M. (6-15, 7th West; LW 4), beat Highland
- 4. Highland Presbyterian (6-15, 5th East; LW 2), lost to Grace U.M.
- 5. Zion – East Petersburg (5-16, 6th East; LW 7), runs over St. Peter’s, record over CtK
- 6. St. Peter’s (5-16, 7th East; LW 6), runs to Zion EP, record over CtK
- 7. Christ the King (5-16, 8th East; LW 5), records to Zion EP and St. Peter’s
- 8. Wayside Presbyterian (0-18, 8th West; LW 8)
Playoff Preview: A full preview of the playoffs will be posted on Wednesday, complete with brackets in PDF format for easy downloading.